This was the announcement on the train, as it approached the station. From 1887 – 1913, League City was the site of the county poor farm which is now the site of Walter Hall Park.
There were also large cattle ranches on our sprawling lush, grasslands. Familiar names included the Derrick, Butler, Perkins, League and Coward families. You may have noticed streets, buildings, creeks and other landmarks named for these families.
Italian immigrants raised dairy cows and grew crops of fruits and vegetables. A settlement of Japanese families that started as rice farmers in the area, turned to truck farming after they fell on hard times in the 1920's. They established nurseries in the area which included figs, satsumas and pecans. The neighborhood of Pecan Forest now sits on one such nursery.
These immigrants and settlers were the beginnings of our congregation and community.
Circuit Riders served our area from the mid-1800’s until our church was established. These circuit riders would come a few times a year to perform marriages & baptisms. At one point, the circuit rider met at a school on Chigger Creek near current Friendswood.
A building on Magnolia Creek became home to Methodist churchgoers, possibly on G.W. Butler’s property. Occasionally, They also worshipped with the Methodist church in Dickinson. The Circuit Ministers were more prominent by this time.
Camp meetings were a big part of Texas Methodism during the 1800s, and members of the Magnolia Bayou congregation participated enthusiastically in annual summer gatherings at the Dickinson picnic grounds
First Church in the town of Clear Creek was constructed in 1898 under the supervision O.V. King. J. L. Russell was the minister at the time of construction and it was reported that it was his courage and determination that brought about this building. – Arrows to Astronauts